|Image from OpenClipArt.com|
This is a free current events service for grades three through twelve. Students can read articles at 5 different Lexile reading levels and take quizzes on what they have read. Subjects include, War & Peace, Science, Kids, Money, Law, Health, Arts, and Sports. Teachers can create classes and view student work, including test results.
Here is how to use it-
- Click, "Not a member? Sign Up Now."
- Choose "Faculty or Staff"
- Enter the South School zip code. 04841.
- Click "Sign in with Google". Use your Google account so you don't have to create a new user name and password.
- Browse through the articles until you find one you want. Click on it.
- Just above you will see a place to assign the article to your class. You can have multiple classes if you want.
- You can also choose to hide articles from certain classes.
- For students to sign in they will need your classroom code. Just have them login to their Google account, go to NEWSELA.com and enter their classroom code.
- Click the magnifying glass to search by grade level, topic, reading standard, or for articles with quizzes.
- To view student progress click on the Binder Tab.
- You can see a class overview by ASSIGNMENT, or click on CLASSES then the student name to see individual student work. Click on PROGRESS to see who is working below grade level and who is at grade level.
- Click on the gear to see your account information, add & delete classes, look at your class sign-up codes, and view student rosters.